Sunday 25 March 2012

The growth

We've all heard this millions of times:

"There is no comfort in growth, there is no growth in comfort"

That is true though. I sincerely agreed.

Why?

Because I've experienced it.

So, before I went here in Medan, I was asked by my superior about where I will end up when I finished my MT program, what position will I choose.

I told her my career aspiration, and duly picked 2 positions which I wanted.

Luckily, these 2 positions is currently vacant. One is very comforting for me, while the other one is challenging.

Before I answer that, let me write something about my past.

I'm a geek.

No doubt about it.

I'm more of a gamer geek. When I was 4, I had my first Nintendo, which I still keep until now. That soon follows to PS1,PS2,PS3,Game Boy, DS, you name it, I have it all.

I also have big interest in computer and programming, which is why I decided to be a computer or game programmer.

Self taught, I even went to HTML course when I was in australia. Even proficiently writing program in C.

Disaster struck when I went back to Indo. You see, the standard of mathematics in australia is very low. I was struggling to keep up with science stuff in SMA, and was adjudged to be "sucks" at it by teachers.

Nevermind, I chose social as my concentration in year 11. And that means burrying my dream to go to any computer related subject in university.

Because my mom is a lecturer in Communication, I got into habit of writing and public speaking. Which I enjoyed rather nicely. That's when I decided I'll be good at it, and will go to Communication studies in university.

Sadly I was wrong. I got into Management by accident.

Nevermind, I went through all the suffering phase to re learn and re adjust myself to Management. And eventually, I fell in love with Marketing.

What happen then? I did a Microsoft project, a competition which our team came 3rd in Indonesia. It combines my geekery of computer skill with communication and writing skills that I previously have. And of course, Marketing.

After this, another disaster struck.

I work in HR.

Accident or not, that means I have to adjust myself. Re learning everything from scratch again.

And again

And again

Now back to the question, what was the position that I chose? Did I finally succumb and pick the one that I'm comfortable with?

Well...

I didn't.

Stuff it, I chose the one that is opposite of me. Opposite of what I like.

Maybe its destiny, maybe its already written.

But the way I see it, its just part of myself that will always be growing, looking for growth.

Even though I will have no comfort :)
Powered by BlackBerry® and my brain

1 comment: