Saturday 27 August 2011

Travelling in Indonesia

Its just so happen that I like travelling. For me, the more messed up my trip is, the more challenging and fun it is.

I've been travelling a lot lately. A lot that if you accumulate the miles, I think it would be about the distance between earth and neptunus.

Well, not really. But anyway...

There are distinct differences about travelling in indonesia. You can either travel by plane, a train, or a bus. Here are my takes on them:

1. Plane
Plane is the most convenient way to travel, no doubt. You can book stuff via internet, swipe your card and walaa. Unfortunately, I'm not the kind of person who can stick around and look for the lowest airline ticket. I just couldn't be bothered. To me, its about just picking up the phone and order the ticket. Can't be bother bout selecting

Which is why I usually take plane on my business trip. Let's now see about the ambience. The airport is a funny place. Its this lifeless, structural chaos that instantly engulfed you when you are there. Plane late for half an hour? You will be pissed. You expect everything to be properly in order, and when it doesn't, you'll be pissed off. The ticket looks sophisticated, with boarding pass etc. Security is top notch. After all, it is expensive

The people who travel with plane are generally of the highest (or medium to high) kind of people in indonesia. They eat KFC like there is no tomorrow, and coffee feels like a must before every trip. Their clothes are a match, usually gucci and polo or some other things, or if I'm there, expect me to wear a t shirt only. As usual.

2. The train
Train is a mystical journey. Its the feeling of a fun, warm and bloody freezing (if you travel using dwipangga and such) that will greet you upon your trip. The station itself is a hit and miss affair sometimes. It can be a bloody mess, but its generally tidy.

The schedule of a train is a pain. Again, you will expect everything to be just in order. And since I think people catching train is the kind of people from medium level in Indonesia, piss off is always in order if a train comes late. The ticket looks like a hybrid between type pe writer and computer, nothing fancy. Security is kinda in between. You sort of feel safe, right until you lost something in front of your eyes when you are asleep.

3. Buses
This is the grandaddy of them all I think. Simply put, you can expect....nothing. Its not fancy, it will be late, the terminal is a mess, the ticket looks crap, but it all makes sense somewhat. After all, you pick chaos to ensued.

Who cares if its late, who cares if traffic traps you for 24 hours, buses is the most bareback, as true of an adventure you'll get.

Leave your preferences down in comment below. Cheers.
Powered by BlackBerry® and my brain

No comments:

Post a Comment