Saturday 5 April 2014

Overcharged Credit Card - Bank BNI and Paypal case. Beware.

Update:

Monday, 7th of April 2014

  1. Went to local BNI near my office and creates a formal written complaint along with printed evidence of the transaction in paypal. The Bank said they had nothing to do with the Credit Card division and put me on the phone with CS. Again. After lengthy debate with CS, they allow me to file a formal complaint after the transaction has been cleared first. Dont ask me when that is. It could be eternity, and i'd assume they would just bill me anyway at the end of the month because "the system said so".
  2. HumbleBundle confirmed that the transaction is $4 and that is what they sent out as well to paypal. Paypal is still investigating things down their side
Tuesday, 8th of April 2014
  1. Called paypal and they acknowledged the problem, will get back to me as soon as possible
Thursday, 10th of April 2014
  1. Problem solve. Suddenly its Rp 49,680 again. 

Original Post
Havent been blogging for a while, im a keep this story somewhat short.

So i like playing games, yes we all know that. And as i grow older, i realized that indie dev is the one that you have to support. Thats why i like the idea of Humble Bundle, basically indie dev selling and bundling their game together and anyone can pay any amount to buy it. Half charity, half marketing.

And so i have been buying quite a lot of Humble Bundle. Last night was no exception. I paid $4 for bunch of games, and proceeds as usual through Paypal.

Paypal gave me the usual currency converter page, which gave me $4 as Rp 46,980 in Indonesian currency. No big deal, i paid and completed the transaction.

Almost instantly, i received SMS from my bank, BNI. It said that i just made a transaction of Rp 4,698,000.

what

the

actual

duck???????????

That equals to $400 ! About as much as a PS4 in America.

In panic i logged into my paypal again and took a look at the receipt of my last transaction. Guess what? it was $4. or Rp 46,980 in converter.

I called my bank, telling them this and the response was the usual kind of response you'd expect from a customer service.

Its the usual "we hear you, shit happens, and no we cant do anything about it"

BNI basically tells me that they cant do anything about it because the merchant does the transaction. BNI has nothing to do with it. Well well, why did they call this BNI Credit Card then? might as well call it Iqbal Credit Card with my face printed at the card if BNI arent going to have anything to do with it.

I called them 3 times, 3 different CS representatives. All gives the same answer. They cant do anything, and told me to resolve it with paypal.

So i did, i raised dispute to paypal asking them what did they charged to BNI. Why the receipt is $4 while they charged BNI $400.

The case, as this post is made is still under investigation from paypal. But knowing how sucks Indonesian system and banking is, here is what i think will happen:

1. Paypal confirmed that HumbleBundle received $4
2. Paypal confirmed that they charged BNI $4
3. BNI wont know a thing and still charged me $400 for it "because the merchant and BNI system" said so.

This is a loss loss situation to me as it stands. Terrible.

I believe this is a mistake somewhere between paypal and BNI part. You see, the way Dollar goes, there are always cents involved. Paypal wrote my transaction as $4,00 which i think somehow interpreted by my bank as $400.

Thats the only was i can imagine it goes. I mean how else can $4 turns into $400?

I will update this page as it goes. Email sent to HumbleBundle, Paypal, and BNI to resolve this. Not so confidence, but i keep my fingers crossed.

And below you can find evidence of my Paypal transaction that night.

Anybody had this happen before?




15 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm in the same predicament :P

    only it's not BNI, it's CIMB Niaga and it's quite similar, I paid the sum of USD 3.90 which is around IDR 45.745, and got charged for IDR 4.574.500,-

    I guess one side is in the wrong end of interpreting 3.90 as 390 (or 4.00 as 400 in your case), or maybe one of the message switching company messed up in translating the message.

    I've called CIMB Niaga, and only got default response (maybe because it's weekend?), so I've also sent a message to humblebundle and also keeping my fingers crossed

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gee, this changes everything.

      What did your paypal receipt said? correctly $3.90?

      Something must be off in the humblebundle or paypal server then. Gonna be complicated to untangle this.

      Delete
    2. yup it's $3.90

      that's what I'm afraid of, if more than one bank has this problem, then it's either humblebundle, paypal or one of the intermediary between them and the bank(s) :|

      Delete
    3. I went to the bank today, filing a formal complaint.

      Was being put on phone with the CS again. Seriously. I went to CS in bank and being put inyo another CS on phone.

      Same old answer where practically "it is what it is".

      Insane.

      Got any better in niaga?

      Delete
    4. Nope it's not any better, maybe it's really a paypal issue :|

      Delete
  2. OMG!! I am also overcharged too!! I donated $10 to AO3 and and because I have fund in my paypal they charged my cc only about $9.45 and what a surprise because I get the notif from Mandiri that I have Rp 9.45 million!! And this is my first time using paypal, I want to cry, because heck, that's a lot of money! I already filled complain to paypal, I want to call them tomorrow. But I want to ask you, can I void the transaction by dispute it? Do you think we can get our money back? Can you help me teach how to dispute the transaction? Because I'm a first timer with paypal, and I'm so shocked with this. Please email me at buahapel2608@gmail.com. I really appreciate your help and this article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eep sorry I was being too emotional, it's 9 million after all, even my bank account doesn't have that much money -_- So after clearing my mind, I contacted the organization I donated for, lucky me they answered quite fast, and they understand my problem, I also already raised dispute on my paypal. Because the other side already agreed to refund my money, my dispute claim went well. But I still can't be too relaxed yet, as long as I haven't get the chargeback confirmation from Mandiri.

      So, I want to give a decent comment for this article (pardon my previous breakdown >_<), from my case, I can assume that the problem is not from your game seller, but either from paypal or our bank system or both. However I think the problem still lay on the numbering mistake, since I charged exactly 100 times. The organization I donated also said that they received $10 from paypal, so I think it's more to our bank system faults. And before this noon, paypal charged me for registration for $1.95 and when i confirm with my bank, it's $1.95. That's weird right.

      So, I also did some research, I think instead you raise a dispute and your seller is difficult to reqch, perhaps you should take a chargeback from your bank. You can show the bank that your billing is different with what they charged. I think it's on the card holder protection.

      Delete
    2. Hi there,

      Well thats 3 different bank then. The wheels truly fell off somewhere in Indonesia.

      Only humblebundle contacted me back, and they confirmed the transaction is $4. I havent asked them to reverse the transaction now as im still waiting for dispute case from paypal to be resolved.

      As for BNI, they insist that it is what it is, it is what the merchant (paypal) charged and they cant do anything about it. So much for the card holder protection!

      The transaction is still not booked yet at the moment, thats the answer BNI kept on telling me since friday. Thats what kept me upset as well, as they do nothing because it hasnt been booked yet. Crazy.

      Even crazy when i went to the bank, physically, yesterday and the bank said they have nothing to do with credit card and put me on the phone with the CS again. After lengthy argument they allowed me to file a complaint AFTER the transaction has been posted. God knows when that is.

      I have a feeling that the transaction will be posted on the monthly bill and they will ask me to pay anyway first. Because it is what it is.

      Card holder protection = none.

      Delete
  3. Hey! I already called paypal! Because i still have this massive anxiety about my bill. Though paypal already refund my money, but it's still not listed on my card statement, well, that's normal though since they said the statement will be listed for 2-3 business days.

    So, then about calling paypal, I explained our problems, that our bank charged us 100 times, so, it's the problem with master card cc holder apparently, many share the same problem with us and they aware with this problem, and they are still working on it. Though the CS said she couldn't give me the answer of the investigation (because they still are working on it).

    Well, actually I feel a bit relieved, since it may the fault from paypal's side, and they already aware with the problems. The CS said that she will email me about my billing situation.

    Perhaps you should contact paypal too instead wasting your energy talking to our bank CS, since I already called Mandiri two times and they know nothing!

    I hope this will be fixed asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh good to hear that.

      May i get the number that i need to call? Is it an indonesian number? Last time i saw it was singapore.

      Im still waiting for their response on the dispute...

      Delete
    2. Nevermind, got the number, and yes i called them and paypal acknowledged the issue. They have so many queries from indonesia and are working on it.

      Hopefully its better soon

      Delete
    3. Ah.. this is interesting, I have only emailed paypal about the issue, maybe I should try calling them too :D

      Thanks for the heads-up, hopefully all of us can get a resolution to this problem :D

      Delete
    4. Yea, paypal acknowledged that ther received lots of complaint from Indonesia and are working on a fix.

      Call them, its singapore number i think. Just use voip from your provider for cheaper cost.

      Delete
  4. I had this problem, too! Went to pay some college registration fee through paypal of €100 but been charged of €10,000. CRAZY. Fortunately, my credit card limit is way below that amount, so the transaction was rejected. LoL. Called my bank, Mandiri, and they can do nothing. The advised me, though, that the problem is on paypal side since Mandiri received complaints from other customers, too. So, I need to wait and try to pay it sometime later.

    Thanks for sharing your experience. Now, I know what I should do if the problem persist.

    ReplyDelete